Thursday, October 30, 2008

Halloween on Campus

Valencia Gets Dressed Up for Halloween
By Alex Barrett

ORLANDO,Fla. - As the cool breezes blow in October, the changing seasons bring many memorable things with it, the most, of course, being Halloween.

You always know when Halloween is getting close, because all of those random buildings and stores that have been vacant for 7 months start popping up with bright orange Halloween costume banners, and more people are out on the road canvassing traffic with big neon signs. Adult novelty stores stop advertising what they're known for, and start pushing costumes, some of which are surprisingly still culturally acceptable outside of the bedroom. (That doesn't mean they all are though.)

So it only feels right to see what people have decided to dress up as this Halloween, and what they are doing with their night. Many people go downtown, while some stay in for house parties and work get-togethers. For some, the decision on what alter-ego to inherit comes easy, but for others, it may be a little difficult. That's not the case if you have someone deciding for you, however. "Marilyn Monroe is my idol. and that's why I chose to go as her," said Kristen Candio. Next to Candio, Antonio Gaskin informed us he was going as Justin Timberlake. "I'm making him do that. it's a joint thing," added Candio.

Still, others have opted for a more direct approach, having no clue; such as Vinnie Oliveira. "I have no idea. I just don't know yet.
Gaby Salmon has her eyes on a certain outfit though; "Its a female Spongebob costume. Some people think it's stupid, but I think it's cute. I'm going to have to go back and get it."

Other Valencia students have a much tougher time deciding on their costume, like Jay Rodriguez. "Well, I'm throwing a Hooters Halloween party this year, so if I have to dress up, I guess I'll go as a vampire, that way I can just throw on some fangs and look cute around a bunch of girls."

There's bound to be some people out there who are wearing their costumes and may take the role a little too far, so you should always be safe on Halloween and be aware of your surroundings. it won't just help you stay secure, it will help you take advantage of the best part of Halloween - people watching. After all, you need to start thinking about ideas for next year, right?
(#2 story for reporting class)

No comments: