Thursday, September 25, 2008

No milk with cookies? That's a travesty...

FINANCIAL CRISIS HIT OR MISS AT VALENCIA

By Alex Barrett


Orlando, Fla. – With the economy in a state of disarray, many people of all walks of life are feeling strapped for cash, some more than others. On the West Campus of Valencia, even the students are affected somewhat. “I'm a server, so less people going out means less tips and less money in my pocket,” said Michelle Jacobs. Michelle is a server at outback, and when you live off of tips, people not having that extra money can be a big problem; even in a more stable environment, such as Ginn Security, Francelaine Prezil is feeling the crunch. “It’s terrible… I drive 45 minutes to work each day and gas is too expensive. I have to fill my tank every few days. It’s not fun.” Some of the students here are on financial aid, which make it a bit easier on the wallet, such as Nicole Bramwell, who says the crisis “hasn’t affected me yet, but I know it will soon.” Mehdi Elyacoubi and Eric Gomez, two friends on campus here, have mixed feelings. “Really, I am just waiting for the cold weather so the electricity bill gets cheaper. It’s horrible right now,” said Gomez. Elyacoubi added, “It isn’t too bad right now for me, I just can’t enjoy milk with my cookies at this time.” Shawna Stevens works downtown at a private firm, and even she is getting hit. “When it comes down to it, bills are just harder to come up with, cut and dry.”

No comments: