Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Central Florida Hawaiian Feast

ORLANDO, Fla. - Or a luau, if you prefer, more in the middle of suburbia, less on a tropical island. I was perusing local events in which to attend for a recent assignment, and while looking abroad, I almost missed the party happening right under my nose. I recently moved into The Parks, a condo community in the Hunter's Creek area, and so far have thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Earlier today, the management company had a luau at the pool area for all of the residents and their families and friends, and I decided to attend and see what the feedback was for such an event.

When I arrived to the luau, I found it very well planned out; it was a family engagement, so there was no alcohol present, but there was a pretty extensive buffet, and even an open pit to mimic the cooking of a pig. There was live island music, and each person through the gates received a lei, just like they were getting off the jet plane in Hawaii. After making a few rounds to check out the scenery, I began to notice how much fun everyone was having; and how this party was bringing everyone in the neighborhood together. After all, even though we are in condominiums, we are still neighbors; just very, very close neighbors that don't always appreciate my Rock Band skills at three o'clock in the morning. After scoping some of the native talent on the deck, I came across Diane Mann, one of the head property managers for The Parks. She greeted me with an pleasant "Aloha," and I returned with the greeting myself. I asked Diane how they management company went about planning all of this, and the kind of coordination it took. "You would be surprised; it was very easy..." Diane stated. "We have had quite a few of these and there's always a huge turnout. It gets everyone out of their homes on a beautiful day, and it takes little more than a few fliers to advertise, and the dedication of the staff for a day." I recognized the dedicated staff. most of them were very dedicated to the volleyball game happening in the pool. "They deserve this as well," stated Diane, "And I think this may be our best turnout yet this year." I also asked Diane if she was down for a game of chicken later, but all I received from the request was a flattered look, followed by a little laughter.

As Diane said previously, this was an event for the people to get out and mingle, so I posed some questions to Mr. David Schoup, who happened to be the next person up to the massive punch bowl fountain. After a few minutes of defending my Chicago Cubs hat, I asked Mr. Schoup if he was enjoying himself. "Oh yeah. I can hang out in the sun, the kids can play, and the wife goes to gossip, so I can get a few moments of peace." He also added that he didn't even know who his neighbors in the home to his left were before this afternoon, much less know their children attended the same school. Courtney Wheeler felt the same way; a fellow bartender I found out after speaking with her for a bit. "Not only do I get to meet new people, some of them are regulars at my bar. I can hang out with them outside of work. It's awesome." I asked her if this was her first one of these little engagements, and she said that she had been to almost all of the special events The Parks puts on, and now actually requests off of work when she hears that an event is upcoming.

It was late afternoon now, and the sun was cracking the clouds, making for a very beautiful orange-red colored sky. As I grabbed another glass of punch, I heard the calls of my roommates by the poolside as they were entering the luau; it was at that point that Mr. Schoup returned to challenge myself, and whomever I would recruit to next game on the volleyball net. After hearing him banter about my Cubbies, I couldn't turn him down. I grabbed the Roomies, and hit the pool. My luau was just starting; and it was going to be a great night.

No comments: